Bread Machine Whole Wheat Bread


I know, I'm a little late on these Lammas Recipes. Save them for next year.


Have you ever made God Bread? This is too fun, and you can skip the anatomically correct part if you have kids. My teen daughters insisted I start including the missing parts as soon as they realized it was supposed to be there. LOL! We used raisins for the side parts, and a small tube of dough for the...well, you know. (Not sure I can say that bit.)
Prepare your baking sheet while the bread machine prepares the dough. I use the lovely silicon baking sheets on top of a cookie sheet, but you do what works best for you. I'm just lazy, that's all.
I put the bread machine to "Manual" or "Dough" setting, and place the bread on the baking sheet. Then I form it into a Gingerbread man shape by making one very large ball to be the body, one medium ball for the head, four smaller balls for the limbs, and as I mentioned before, one small tube for the anatomically correct part. (wink, wink, nudge). Don't be afraid to get inventive with decorations like raisins for the eyes, a pecan half for the mouth, a snip of the scissors to make a nose, spices like allspice for rosy cheeks, a dusting of wheat germ, and colored coconut for the hair. (Chocolate doesn't work. Save that for the decorator bag or tubes of icing from the store.) If you wish your God Bread to reflect a darker skin color, an egg wash brushed over him before baking will give him a darker brown color without burning.
Once his body is complete, allow him to rise once more. This won't take long, so keep an eye out. If you wish your God Bread to reflect a darker skin color, an egg wash brushed over him before baking will give him a darker brown color without burning.
Now bake him up in the oven. 375F for about 30-40 minutes does the trick in my gas oven. You may need to adjust for your oven. He's ready when he's golden and sounds hollow when you tap on him. You can cover him loosely with foil if he's getting too brown but not done. Cool on a wire rack by sliding the whole silicon sheet on the rack.
Once he's cool, you can decorate him with icing, tubes of colored frosting, or whatever suits your fancy. I often end up baking two. By the time the scent of baking bread fills the air, I've some masculine vultures hovering who must be appeased if one God Bread is to survive until the Sabbat. LOL!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samhain

Fw: Cake in a Cup

Easy Halloween Treats