Quilting 101- How to Use the Book and this Blog

I'll start by inserting the scanned page from the book. You'll need to save it to your computer and print it out or look at it with the Zoom feature. After that, we'll discuss it via Comments.


Okay, now for the discussion. I'll post the list of supplies ASAP. I'll post the page with a template or pattern when it's needed.

Once again, I remind you to save the plastic lids to margarine tubs, coffee cans, sour cream containers, and similar plastic lids. You'll need many. Also, save as many of the plastic inserts in bacon packages as you can. These will come in especially handy for some of the larger templates. I've looked at them, and they are some of the most common templates available. You'll want permanent copies. 

I suggest you think very seriously about color schemes. You may have already noticed a theme or color scheme you particularly favor. For instance, I'm well known for loving hot tropical colors like Caribbean blue, hot pink, and grass green, and if it has to do with the sea or Egypt, I'm always willing to give it a shot. Remember that fabric can be bought in a myriad of colors and themes, including holiday motifs you might not ordinarily try.

Many of the projects we'll explore are simple things like pillows, hot pads, and wall hangings. We're learning on these things, so they're deliberately small and relatively easy. This gives us a chance to try out different looks we might ordinarily never get a chance to play with. Who cares if it's just a little holiday pillow? We'll learn to look for the colors and styles we find attractive.

As far as how much we'll need, you'll be happy to know many of the projects will use a yard for the front and a yard for the back. Those yards will be broken up into 1/4 yard here, 1/2 yard there, etc. You may also wish to purchase quilt batting. My personal choice is found at Joann's and is called Warm and Natural. The link I've included allows you to buy online. I suggest saving the URL to your favorites. NancysNotions.com is an excellent online retailer.

Plan on spending about $9 a yard for good fabric. Yes, you can get cheaper, but good fabric doesn't fade, bleed, or fray quite as much. It's worth the investment, since quilts are often handed down for generations. After you spent 3 months making them a quilt, you'll want your grandchildren to appreciate your work and not wrap the washer in it when they move!

No matter how tempting it is, be patient with yourself. As Susan can attest, making a quilt is a long and frustrating process if you dive in without working up with knowledge and practice. A pillow, place mat, or oven mitt now is well worth your time.

Anecdote: I am just now learning the lesson about Precision Ironing. (wince) If you've not read my Notes on my private Facebook page, you missed out on a good laugh at my expense. Readers Digest Version-- a 19-times blue ribbon winner saw my quilt top and is making me re-iron every seam so the darn thing lays perfectly flat, without one lump where seams cross, for maximum comfort and beauty. Learn from my mistake and plan your seams so they all lie in one direction or the other. (There's a section called, "In Praise of Precision" to learn this. Don't panic.)

Well, before I give away everything and overwhelm you, that's enough for today. Just think about your colors and personal style. If money were no object, what would you decorate and wear?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samhain

Fw: Cake in a Cup